DHS Pathways

Visual and Performing ArtPathway

Band

By Emily Ellis and Ashley Kim

CREDITS: Grace Aranda Lutz

The Dublin High School marching and concert band is probably known for the stunning navy blue and red uniforms, the fun pep band tunes played on Friday night football games, the amazing field show season this past fall, and all the effort every band member puts into their music. However, the music program doesn’t only offer education. It offers a family too- a chance for people that love music to belong.  

Claire Rosefield is a sophomore who is in all three music programs offered on campus. She plays flute for marching band, double bass in the orchestra, and electric guitar for jazz band. “The music program is a really strong community, and we’re all really good friends,”  said Rosefield.

“You will make a lot of new friends.  Pretty much my whole friend group is in band with me,”  added sophomore flutist Hallie Neff.

Band is also a class where students will learn cooperation and the ability to become a “team”. Band students work together to make music, where each person plays a part to contribute to the entire piece. Band director Mr. Everts acknowledged this, saying, “One different part of these classes compared to other classes is we are working all together to make music. Other classes tend to be “individual-driven” – only the student’s work affects his or her grade. Well, in a performing class, we all impact and influence one another. To succeed, we need all of us to do the job.”

Many people in band stay in the program for all four years. To these people, band becomes an integral part of their high school experience. Senior flute and piccolo player Jessica Shipps is one of those people. “Band is a super fun place to meet people who will be your friends your whole life,” said Shipps.

However, band is a class that requires a lot of commitment and dedication. Band members often spend more than twenty hours a week outside of class in the fall semester, with Wednesday night rehearsals, Friday football games, and Saturday full-day rehearsals. Mr. Everts added, “When enrolling in a band or orchestra or jazz band class, please know that the class needs as much ‘respect’ as your other classes.”

Biomedical Academy

By Kaushikee Nayudu

Dublin High’s Biomedical Academy is a comprehensive four year course designed to prepare students for careers in the biomedical field, which is one of the fast growing fields in the country. The class involves a practical, in depth view of medical studies and the human body. The program consists of four elective courses, one per year, as outlined below:

1) Freshman Year: Principles of Biomedical Sciences

2) Sophomore Year: Human Body Systems

3) Junior Year: Medical Intervention

4) Senior Year: Capstone course: Biomedical Innovations, ROP Medical Occupations, Nursing, or Sports Medicine

The elective courses above are also supplemented by advanced/honors science courses to ensure students are prepared for the lessons in the elective class.

​The biomedical academy currently consists of two teachers, Ms. Sundstrom and Ms. Kaehms. Below they’ve described their expectations for students entering the academy, and provided their descriptions of the academy:

“The Biomedical Academy is a program that provides students the opportunity to take a second Science class that revolves around project-based learning of biomedical topics. The Academy also provides extension opportunities through monthly guest speakers, field trips, professional mentors, and eventually senior internship and volunteer options. Students who benefit most are those with a love of Science and interest in subjects like forensics, biotechnology, diseases, and the human body. Like most subjects at DHS, the workload in the Biomedical classes increases each year.  Freshman do not have much homework, but by the junior year Honors Medical Interventions class, the rigor and time required have increased.  A student must be willing to commit almost all of their electives to a second Science class.  In their senior year, students get the choice of participating in one of the Tri-Valley ROP internship-based classes such as ROP Nursing or ROP Medical Occupations.  These require several hours a week of internship hours at their assigned site, and students are able to gain valuable real-world experiences and certifications.” – Ms. Sundstrom, Biomedical Teacher

Photo credited to Dublin High Biomedical Teachers.
Biomedical students visit the Dublin coroner’s office.

The biomedical academy is one of the largest and fast growing academies on campus. Below are some descriptions from Dublin High Students enrolled in the academy:

“If you’re interested in science, it’s definitely worth it, and it helps for the regular science classes as well. Plus the class is so much fun, and not all that hard as long as you like what you’re doing.” ⁃ Soumya Sthavara, Freshman

Biomedical students work on a lab in Human Body Systems.

“Even if you’re not good with tests and quizzes, it’s very lab and work based, and you’ll do fine if you keep up with all the work involved.” ⁃ Sadahna Shastri, Freshman

“It gets harder as you go through it, but it’s definitely worth the time.” ⁃ Sophomore

“Doesn’t matter what field of science you’re going into the class will help, and as a bonus it’s super fun” ⁃ Junior​

Catering Pathway

Alexandra Stassinopoulos, Editor-in-Chief

Lauren Satariano, Guest Writer

One of the newest pathways at DHS is the catering program.

To become part of this pathway students must take an introductory cooking class, either Cooking 1-2 or Baking/Pastry. At the end of the year, the top students are invited to apply for the catering class.

The catering program is invitation only because the class is job like in nature

“[Catering] It’s the schools catering business,” says Senior Lauren Satariano, “People ask us to cater for events, and the money we make goes towards necessary ingredients for the next job. Very fun, but fast paced class.”
After six semesters of cooking, including at least one year of catering, one becomes a part of the culinary academy.
Many students in the academy pursue careers in the culinary arts and catering businesses. The culinary academy also gives scholarships to graduating seniors. Catering Academy students receive special tassels during graduation as well.

Engineering Academy

By Neha Harpanhalli and Christy Koh

Dublin High’s Engineering and Design Academy equips students with basic engineering knowledge and career exploration opportunities. The academy offers engaging classes with an emphasis on real-world problem-solving and hands-on engineering challenges. Students are given the opportunity to join the Academy during the second semester of their freshman or sophomore year, under either the Engineering pathway or the Computer Science pathway. Students will complete two foundational courses and one specialization course to receive an Engineering Certificate upon graduation.

Here are the pathway options offered at DHS for the 2017-2018 school year.

• Engineering Pathway
    • Introduction to Engineering Design (IED)
    • Principles of Engineering (POE)
    • Digital Electronics (DE)
    • Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM)
  • Computer Science Pathway
    • Computer Science and Software Engineering (CSE)
    • Principles of Engineering (POE)
    • AP Computer Science Applications (CSA)

Three courses which do not fall under either pathway, Biotechnology, ROP Environmental Science, and ROP Alternative Renewable Energy, will also count for engineering credits.

For more information, go here or email Ms. Chou at [email protected]