Dublin High collaborates with Emerald on the 2023 Homecoming Dance

Students+are+spotted+entering+the+first+indoors+Homecoming+dance+since+pre-COVID.+
Suhani Hariharan
Students are spotted entering the first indoors Homecoming dance since pre-COVID.

Dublin High students have worked to make this year’s Homecoming dance on October 26th memorable. But this year, something was different: DHS invited Emerald High students to join them at the dance in the DHS Sports Complex. 

Because Emerald High is still under construction, Dublin High invited Emerald students to join them in this year’s Homecoming and collaborate in order to determine this year’s theme, who will be attending, and plan for what events and festivities will take place. 

One Emerald High student, Marcella Widjaja, had mixed feelings about the combined homecoming dance when she first learned about it. “I am excited for homecoming because it is my first high school dance. However, I’m not completely enthusiastic because as an Emerald High student, it is rumored that we are last priority and therefore may not get to attend Dublin High’s Homecoming despite being on the same campus as those students,” Marcella Widjaja stated. 

Marcella voiced the opinion of many other Emerald High students who at first questioned if they will be getting a Homecoming during their freshman year despite not having an actual Homecoming team. This rumor was proven false when the DHS homecoming dance was opened to Emerald High, and tickets were sold out to all students from both high schools. Emerald High students also participated in the usual Dublin High celebrations such as the float parade and the traditional homecoming dance. This year’s homecoming was a unique experience for everyone and the first time that Dublin High students included a brand new high school in their celebration. 

“This is my first time going to a homecoming as a freshman. I also have quite a few friends going and am excited to spend time with them. I do wish that tickets weren’t so expensive but at least we got to go despite not being part of Dublin High School,” Kshitij Gairola said during an interview on his opinion of Dublin High’s homecoming. 

Due to Emerald High being a brand new high school, many students feel that homecoming can’t truly be celebrated until the school has a “home to come to”. Having a homecoming team is also an important tradition for Homecoming week and is something that can’t exist if the school hasn’t been established. However, Emerald students still enjoyed their combined homecoming.

This year’s homecoming was an event that both schools took part in. Emerald High students helped work on floats in the parade, had their own freshman play in the night rally, and partook in the homecoming dance. Even in their difficult situation, Emerald students have been making the most out of sharing a campus with Dublin High School. 

Donate to The Dublin Shield
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Dublin High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Suhani Hariharan
Suhani Hariharan, Staff Writer
Suhani is a freshman as Emerald High School who wants to start an Emerald Newspaper Club and is excited to be part of Dublin Sheild.
Donate to The Dublin Shield
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal