How Dangerous is UC Berkeley?

Riya Bindlish
The Sather Tower, also known as the Campanile, at UC Berkeley.

UC Berkeley has been named the third most dangerous public college, ranking with Ohio State University and the University of Michigan. Considered an elite college, the fact that UC Berkeley has not taken many safety precautions to protect their students has sparked outrage amongst students and parents alike. 

One of the explanations for why UC Berkeley’s crime rate is up is due to the abundance of homeless people who live nearby. They often enter school premises and sometimes go into the dorms unattended. An anonymous freshman at UC Berkeley stated that he had found a homeless man in his dorm bathroom, who faced no obstacles when entering the building and showering. In another instance, according to KTVU, a homeless man went into a secured apartment of 2 UC Berkeley students. Despite the danger these students were put through, they luckily did not sustain any injuries. 

In 2019 alone, there were 883 incidents, ranging from theft to assault, with the majority taking place on campus. Ranging from 2019-2021, the number of incidents per year decreased by around half as it went from 883 to 401. However, in these incidents, only minor offenses decreased as the number of assault cases increased from 19 to 54. 

Granting that there are many more instances in which UC Berkeley students have been put at risk, it is imperative to acknowledge that UC Berkeley is currently undergoing a process in which they plan to provide better security for their students. This includes having the local police constantly on patrol on campus and working to improve safety conditions. Moreover, to combat homelessness in the surrounding areas of UC Berkeley, an initiative has been passed to house homeless people in a park nearby. Although not an immediate fix, this can regulate the number of homeless people in that area. UC Berkeley produces many intelligent students who prove to change the world, but if this college does not create a safer environment for its students, it could be possible that fewer students choose to go there. 

$0
$500

Samaira Gaind
Samaira Gaind, Opinion Editor
$0
$500