Splatter 2023: Celebrating Dublin’s Diversity

Paresh Prabhuraj
The final drone performance in which 200 drones painted the night sky.

Last Saturday, Splatter returned to Dublin with food trucks, small businesses, performances, art activities, and rides. Families and friends throughout the city attended, and many Dublin High School students had a fun time participating in the variety of activities offered at the event.

For example, attendees enjoyed activities such as painting kindness rocks, making maracas, and even creating their own passports. However, Splatter wasn’t only significant for the entertainment it offered to its attendees: it also provided a platform for different groups to share their culture with the people of Dublin. Along with promoting diversity through art, Splatter had various cultural performances. The WeDance Chinese Ballet, Thunder KungFu Academy, and the Riar Academy of Performing Arts all performed at Splatter, showing their unique skills while also representing their culture. The performances were impressive to watch as they all received applause from the audience. 

Accompanying the diverse arts and performances was a wide range of cultural food trucks selling different types of cuisines. These food trucks featured cuisines from all around the world, offering Southeast Asian, Mexican, South Indian, and Nigerian food. Some places sold cold deserts, allowing customers to cool off from the blazing heat. 

Students from Dublin High gathered together with their friends to hang out and take a break from school. Some students just walked around, while others enjoyed the art activities, the performances, or the food, which helped promote cultural diversity in the city. One example of such art activities was the Fans of the Pacific. In this activity, people created their own Asian fans to not only stay cool but to have a hands-on educational experience that brought students together from various backgrounds. 

When asked about his opinion of Splatter, Dublin High sophomore Anthony Rocha said, “I enjoyed Splatter since I got to hang out with all my friends and see all the vendors. The food and vibe [were]was pretty good too. I thought that it was a cool place to hang out and have fun. I also liked the drone show at the end because it was a good finale to the whole night.” 

Many of the art activities catered mostly towards kids, but almost everyone at Splatter enjoyed the food provided there. Students explored the diverse food offerings, which allowed them to eat an appetizing meal while representing the multicultural essence of our community. It was a delicious reminder of how our city embraces different cultures through the universal love of food. 

Overall, Splatter was an entertaining event for Dublin residents to hang out with friends and a great way to celebrate the various cultures that exist in our community. If you missed out on Splatter this year, it will be back next year for you to enjoy with your friends and family!

$0
$500

Colin Chung
Colin Chung, Entertainment Editor
Colin Chung is a sophomore student at Dublin High School. Colin enjoys watching sports, playing guitar, and doing karate. He is a junior second degree blackbelt and has been doing karate for over 6 years. In Colin's free time he likes to play games, talk with friends, and spend time with family.
$0
$500