DHS Celebrates Dubversity on Grady Day

FASU+%28Filipino+American+Student+Union%29+club+members+are+seen+performing+during+the+rally.+
FASU (Filipino American Student Union) club members are seen performing during the rally.

Last Grady Day, Dublin High hosted its monthly Grady Day, highlighting the various cultural and ethnic diversities on campus. Speakers came from different backgrounds and spoke about discrimination, personal experiences, and how we can become more culturally aware. Additionally, there was a wide variety of performances such as dances, songs, and speeches. Overall, the Dubversity Grady Day helped bring a greater sense of community by spreading awareness about different cultures. As said in the presentation, it is important to get an understanding of other cultures to become closer connected and understand diverse points of view.

Still, in our community and around the world, there are racial and cultural stereotypes along with discrimination towards others. A survey conducted by the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) reported that “One in ten Black and Hispanic adults say they or a family member living with them have been threatened or mistreated by the police in the past year.” It is even reported that people who have experiences with discrimination are more subject to loneliness, depression, and anxiety. For instance, as presented in the rally, Islamophobia is still very prominent in various places of the world. The terrorist attacks of 9/11 still cause stereotypes of Muslim terrorism and increased hate crimes. Women who wear the hijab are increasingly at risk of discrimination such as harassment and rejection in public places, solely based on their religion. 

When asked about the importance of the event, sophomore and vice president of FASU, Kheandra Suarez stated that the event was “a way to represent my culture with a close community of people that I consider family.” FASU performed their version of modern and traditional dancing such as Tinikling. 

Dubversity attempts to bring a deeper understanding of the differences between yourself and others from different ethnicities and religions. With a diverse community in Dublin, many may often feel disconnected from others, and this creates a sense of division. Cultural awareness matters because it allows everyone to feel accepted. Moving forward, it is important to remember the message of Dubversity. As a community, it is important to stay unified to gain a mutual understanding of each other. 

$0
$500

Colin Chung
Colin Chung, Entertainment Editor
Colin Chung is a sophomore student at Dublin High School. Colin enjoys watching sports, playing guitar, and doing karate. He is a junior second degree blackbelt and has been doing karate for over 6 years. In Colin's free time he likes to play games, talk with friends, and spend time with family.
$0
$500