“Yes, And”: Dublin High’s “Improv the Nation” Club

When first thinking about improv, it can come across as a game of sorts—a game that consists of constant improvisation of humorous conversations to keep the audience engaged, so seamless that it appears scripted. However, improv, short for improvisational theater, is a form of theater that is completely unscripted. 

Dublin High provides a robust improv club called Improv the Nation, with a close-knit community that strives to entertain others. Improv the Nation, although not one of the most known or sought-after niches, is growing each year. The way the club operates is that the main team, which you audition for, are the ones to perform, while the other students work to develop their skills. The official team consists of 8 people: Surya Uniyal, Arya Gothoskar, Isabel Sellers, Gabriel Lamirand, Khloe Heusler, Ashley Wheeler, Tanay Menon, and Rishan Sathiyaa. 

Rishan Sathiyaa, a sophomore at DHS, says, “Before I was on the team, I used to try to be cool, but now I can’t even pretend. Having to get on a stage and embarrass myself four times a year has done numbers for my public speaking skills.” Improv the Nation, then, can develop key skills needed for high school students today as it creates an environment where students feel comfortable. Public speaking, confidence, and communication are just a few of the skills that a member of the club can learn.

Isabel Sellers, a junior at DHS, humorously says, “Improv the Nation runs like a well-oiled machine if instead of a machine it was eight people who are incapable of planning things until the last minute.” In our current school system which puts more emphasis on academic achievement than creative achievement, improv is a way for students to harness their creativity without the pressure of being wrong. The community is welcoming and provides a safe space for anyone to enter. 

In their previous performances in the Performing Arts Center, the experienced members of Improv the Nation have put on shows for countless others. These performances can consist of estranged family members or captivating rap battles if the members feel like it. The free-flow ability to change an entire set, unscripted, is what inherently makes improv so enjoyable for all the people participating. Follow @improvthenation.dhs for more information on cast members and future performances!

Donate to The Dublin Shield
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Dublin High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Samaira Gaind
Samaira Gaind, Opinion Editor
Donate to The Dublin Shield
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal