String of Vandalistic Events Leads to Shutdown of DHS Bathrooms

Back to Article
Back to Article

A simple cartoon conveys the consequence of the vandalistic acts.

Danielle Tran

Danielle Tran

Danielle Tran

Considering the persistent amount of graffiti present in bathrooms the previous school year, vandalism certainly wouldn’t be considered a new issue at Dublin High. However, its frequency, as well as the extremity of the vandalistic acts over the past few months, have escalated dramatically, leaving teachers and administration little choice but to resort to drastic measures in order to find the culprit.

As of Friday, February 8th, a new policy was enforced in which teachers no longer needed to grant students their bathroom privileges. Prior to the change, whether or not teachers allowed their students that privilege varied depending on their personal preferences. Most operated using a simple sign-in sheet that required students to note the time in which they left and re-entered the room. Others allowed their students that prerogative with little constraints whatsoever. However, in accordance with the new policy, teachers are now being encouraged to deny students their bathrooms privileges, in exception of it being a legitimate emergency. Furthermore, should they end up leaving the classroom, it is an absolute requirement that they sign in and out, despite their teacher’s former bathroom policies. By doing so, teachers will then be able to document their students’ patterns on a spreadsheet shared with the entire campus.

At first glance, the painstaking care being placed towards this issue is seemingly unnecessary. Such actions are rather reminiscent of a similar occurrence the previous school year in which the bathrooms of the J, K, L, and M buildings were closed in response to vandalistic incidents. Evidently, these warnings were barely heeded. However, while those were an attempt to curb the vandalism by providing students a direct consequence for their actions, this policy was primarily geared towards the administration’s main goal of seeking out the individual(s) responsible for the damage. By observing when students use the bathroom, the administration hopes to at least determine a general time interval in which the vandalism could have been committed.

There is little doubt that such a goal should be the administration’s primary objective. Since the incidents first began occurring, they’ve caused nothing but trouble and time for those cleaning up the mess. [get quote from janitor?]

In regards to whether or not the policies have been effective thus far, Mrs. McCort, the AP Government and Graphic Publications teacher on campus, acknowledged that, to an extent, “it has been effective.” She admitted, “Although it hasn’t been effective in the particular vandalism case, we have seen significantly less vaping, fewer people going out of the class, and a decrease in all of these crimes that are happening because kids are going to the bathroom.” She reflected on her own bathroom policies, stating, “I’ve been strict about the bathroom policy. The only people I really let go to the bathrooms are the girls, and if my students tell me it’s an emergency, I let them go.” Her perspective on the issue was clear — when viewing the above evidence, firm behavior seems only reasonable.

Ultimately, vandalism has been an ever-present issue that the administration is providing much deserved attention. However, despite their extensive efforts, it is likely the issue will remain unresolved without the assistance of students. Should you observe any foul behavior or evidence, it is highly encouraged that you immediately speak to an adult. You can ask to do so entirely anonymously, and the case will remain completely confidential. As of now, the administration has offered a $300 reward for any individual who comes forward with information.

About the Contributor
Danielle Tran, Student Life Editor

At first glance, Danielle Tran is a typical Asian girl with inconveniently uncooperative hair. On a closer lens, she is a passionate creator, and can...

• String of Vandalistic Events Leads to Shutdown of DHS Bathrooms

Entertainment

The Pajama Game Was Worth Far More Than 7 and a Half Cents

Community

Lawsuit Brought Against TVROP Names Former DUSD Superintendent Dr. Leslie Boozer

Community

Angst Screening Strives to Initiate a Much-Needed Conversation on Campus

Arts

Profiling Talented and Dedicated Student Artists: Jessica Huang and Emma Sundstrom

Student Life

English Department Implements Readiness Tests to Factor into Course Placement

Community

DHS Hosts the 2019 Special Olympics

Feature

2nd Annual DHS Science and Engineering Fair Brings New Champions

Community

How to Spend a Day in San Francisco

Community

Science Teacher Still Concerned About Water Quality

Entertainment

Students Are Back in the Directors’ Chair with the 2019 One Acts