A Breakdown of Dublin High’s 2023 Tree Lighting Ceremony and Winter Boutique

Prianka Vakil
The tree is lit around 6:00 P.M. and towers over campus, serving as the highlight of Dublin High’s tree lighting ceremony.

With the holidays fast approaching, Dublin High School hosted the popular annual tree lighting ceremony for all community members on December 6, 2023. The ceremony was preceded by a boutique in the Student Union, where various campus clubs and local vendors sold desserts, traditional foods, and crafted gifts. Outside, everyone enjoyed photo booths and interacted with various characters like Elsa and Olaf, in anticipation of the lighting of the “Big Tree,” a campus landmark.

Winter is a time of year much anticipated by many, as the season encompasses all kinds of holidays recognized by Dublin High’s diverse community. Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Christmas, and Lunar New Year are just a few year-end holidays recognized by the student body. The holidays are also a time when people gather together to express appreciation for their loved ones or those who have passed. To honor this, Dublin High sent out a remembrance form and made special recognitions at the tree lighting.

“The best part was the vibe that was set around by all the Dublin High School kids attending the Winter Boutique…it felt like a community,” Dublin High student Adavya Sharma said after exploring the Student Union to support fundraising efforts. 

This year, one of the largest crowds Dublin High has ever seen was present at the tree lighting. In the Student Union, dozens of school clubs, families, and homemade holiday goodies were packed into one room. As 4:30 rolled around, students were hard at work setting up their foods and passionately attracting customers to their booths, as well as their causes. SWENext DHS sold popcorn and chicken nuggets to help raise money for women in the field of STEM. The Indian Student Association sold chips and fruit drinks. Books for All showcased a table full of meaningful novels on sale, Poverty Patch Up sold sweet treats and stickers, and Girls4Sports shared apple cider and cookies. “It was a great experience getting to sell gingerbread cookies and cotton candy to raise funds for cancer patients as a chapter of the American Cancer Society,” student Akshaya Koneti stated.

During the outdoor tree lighting portion of the night, the rainy weather didn’t bring an end to the festivity. As student volunteers handed out ponchos and pamphlets, families gathered around for the students’ holiday performances. Jazz band opened the ceremony with “Let it Snow,” a classic favorite. Afterwards, Dublin High’s choir took the stage and sang “California Dreaming,” followed by colorful dance performances honoring Lunar New Year, Simbang Gabi, and much more. School vendors sold hot chocolate and small businesses including Mimi’s Chocolates and Nana Bear’s Mini Donuts sold snacks to the large crowd. 

At last, the tree lighting itself, which took place around 5:45 P.M., was led by Associated Student Body president Dunya Fakhri. “The trunk is the body of the tree and represents the strong foundation of our school, with our school district, administration, teachers, and staff […] The branches, when lit, are a bright example of how we help each other in times of celebration, remembrance, happiness, sadness, and joy. The branches show how we come together and grow with one another throughout those times,” Dunya explained. Although the lighting of the tree took a few tries due to the rain, the enthusiasm of the crowd as it finally illuminated was unmatched, making the ceremony all the more memorable.

$0
$500

Prianka Vakil
Prianka Vakil, Staff Writer
Prianka is a current sophomore at Dublin High School. For as long as she can remember, she has been spinning novels in old notebooks and looking for a new good read. By joining the Dublin Shield, Prianka hopes to act as a voice for Dublin High students and shed light upon current events in the community. In her free time, she can be found watching a good horror movie or listening to old-timey music.
$0
$500