The voice of Dublin's youth

Dublin High’s Guys and Dolls Shine On Opening Night

The cast of Guys and Dolls strike a pose at the end of the musical number “Crapshooter’s Dance.”

Photo Courtesy of the Production Team.

Morgan Minkler, Staff Writer

Intense dance routines, powerful musical numbers, and humor throughout- all followed by audience applause marked the premier of Guys and Dolls at DHS. The show, which took three months to produce was  a huge success.

“By far the best school production of the year” remarked junior Kelly James, who went on to say she was “blown away by the talented cast of triple-threat performers.”

Many other audience members shared her views such as freshman Kaushikee Nayudu who said “I’m very proud of all the hard work by the actors, especially since some of them were my friends… it truly was a great show.”

Photo Courtesy of Production Team
Matthew Glynn (Nicely-Nicely Johnson) boldly stands and delivers a memorable performance in “Sit Down You’re Rocking the Boat.”

Set in Manhattan around the 1950s, Guys and Dolls tells of con-man Nathan Detroit’s efforts to find a location to host his illegal, but notorious, crap game. This musical comedy details two unlikely romantic pairings: a high-rolling gambler and a dedicated missionary, as well as a  showgirl dreaming of the straight-and-narrow and a crap game manager who is anything but.

In an interview with the Dublin Shield before the show, Ms. Delapp, DHS’s drama teacher and director of Guys and Dolls, expressed she “wanted to do something that was really different to give the actors and the community a different perspective.” From this she hoped they would “take away a broader understanding of musical theater, history and lineage.” She explained that “what happened 50 years ago, in the golden age of musical theater, where Guys and Dolls is written and set, really informs the work of contemporary musical theater” and because of this “we should have equal knowledge and respect for both time periods.”

While watching the show, however, audience members and actors acquired more than just a greater appreciation for musical theater. Performer, Shruthi Vijukumar, exclaimed “It felt great to be a part of Guys and Dolls. It’s awesome because you get the opportunity to be part of an amazing family who supports each other through everything.”

Overall, the musical reflected the hard work of the cast members involved and was thoroughly enjoyed by all students attending its opening night.

• Dublin High’s Guys and Dolls Shine On Opening Night

Arts

Art Spotlight: Dance, Dance, Dance!

Arts

Looking Back at the 2017 Art Show

Arts

Art Spotlight: Sculpture and Ceramics – A Way To Shape Your Visions

Arts

Get Ready DHS… It’s One Acts Season Again!

Arts

A Night to Remember: The Irish Guard Hosts a Successful Invitational

Arts

A Midsummer Night’s Dream Leaves Audience Spellbound

Arts

Art Spotlight: AP Studio Art

• Arts

Splatter!

Arts

A Midsummer Night’s Dream: A Night Full of Love, Magic, and Mischief That’s Not to Be Missed!

Arts

Meet Dublin High School’s New Band Director, Ms. Melissa Williams