DHS Reacts to Women’s History Month

Women+worldwide+protested+at+A+Day+Without+a+Woman+marches.+
Women worldwide protested at A Day Without a Woman marches.

Getty Images

Getty Images

Ashley Kim and Kaushikee Nayudu

Women’s History Month is a month dedicated to the contributions that women have made to society, whether it is in politics, the sciences, the arts, literature, or music. In the United States, women’s history month began with the first International Women’s Day in 1911, which commemorated women’s rights. In modern day, women’s history month is celebrated by honoring all the women in history that persevered for equality.

This year, International Women’s Day was on March 8. This year’s theme was Be Bold For Change, inspiring women all around the world to challenge the norms society places on women. In honor of this day, the Women’s March organized a campaign called A Day Without a Woman. The participants of this campaign were encouraged to not work, peacefully protest, and wear red in solidarity.

To recognize women’s history month, the Dublin Shield asked students and teachers on campus what the idea of women’s history means to them.

Junior Audrey Shi said, “I celebrate women’s history month because it is important for all girls and women to feel empowered and loved.”

Sophomore Catherine Capretta expressed, “It’s time for me to celebrate me being a woman and all the things women have done for the the world.”

Women’s history not only is important to the young women at Dublin High, but also is special for the teachers on campus.

English teacher Ms. Briggs had an interesting perspective on women’s history month. She commented, “It is unfortunate that we have to have one in order to recognize the contributions of women. In a perfect world, the contributions of women and men would be honored side by side. That’s why it’s so incredibly important to honor the contributions of women.”

She and the many other teachers on campus believe that there is potential in all the young women and men at Dublin High School.

That is what makes Women’s History Month so important at Dublin High School. There are women everywhere on campus that deserve to be recognized for all the hard work they have done. From the administration to the teachers to the amazing students themselves, Dublin High would not be the same without the influence of women on its campus.

That’s why we, as Dublin High, celebrate Women’s History Month- not only for the women that have made history, but more importantly, for the young women who will make history.

About the Writers
Ashley Kim, Editor-in-Chief

Ashley Kim is a senior and the Editor-in-Chief of the Dublin Shield. She has been on the school newspaper for three years and is excited for her fourth! She loves many things- her family and friends, sea salt popcorn, book marathons at Barnes and Noble, and warm cozy sweaters. She plays clarinet for the marching and concert band, leads a youth group of wonderful middle school girls, and involves herself in several other clubs on campus. Her favorite TV show is BBC Sherlock, and if you watch it, you are considered her instantaneous friend. You can probably find her on campus with her ginormous backpack and a smile on her face. Follow her Instagram @_ashleykim!

Kaushikee Nayudu, Editor-in-Chief

Kaushikee Nayudu is a sophomore at Dublin High and the Junior Managing Editor for the Dublin Shield where she enjoys writing articles covering a diverse range of topics, and working with fellow writers and editors. On any given day you can find her stressing out over academics, pouring over a new novel, spending time with her friends and family, or powering through hours of her favorite television shows and movies. She loves to debate controversial issues and is always willing to make conversation (even with strangers). She is also involved in Model United Nations, Mayor’s Council, CSF, and Girl Up. In her future at the Dublin Shield, she looks forward to enhancing her capabilities as a writer, learning from the other staff at the Dublin Shield, and informing her community of important events at Dublin High and around the world.

• DHS Reacts to Women’s History Month

Feature

Faculty Spotlight: An Inside Peek on the HUB’s New Programs, and the Person Who’s Making it All Happen

• DHS Reacts to Women’s History Month

Student Life

One Last Event: The 2018 Homecoming Dance

• DHS Reacts to Women’s History Month

Student Life

An Evening of Gael Spirit – The 2018 Fall Carnival

• DHS Reacts to Women’s History Month

Student Life

2018-19 Skit Night: Exhilarating, Spirited, and … Controversial?

• Community

Ranking all the Lemonade at Splatter

• DHS Reacts to Women’s History Month

Student Life

Club Spotlight: Northern California Innocence Project

• DHS Reacts to Women’s History Month

Community

Location of Second High School Finalized

• DHS Reacts to Women’s History Month

Community

Student Spotlight: Judy Kim

• DHS Reacts to Women’s History Month

Community

Club Spotlight: Dublin High Democrats

• DHS Reacts to Women’s History Month

Community

NorCal Asian Night Market Proves to be a Huge Success