The Pressure to Be the Perfect Student

Rose Hanson
ABOVE: Students early in the morning finishing homework in the library.

Coal. Under pressure it can become a diamond, but does this concept apply to students? At Dublin High School many of the students here are taking honors and advanced placement classes, but how does one juggle school, extracurricular activities, and a social life?

“It definitely has challenged me as a student,” says junior Ryan Elazegui. “I feel like there is pressure to do well in school as well as athletics, there are only so many hours in a day.” Ryan brings up a good point; however there are kids who are staying up way into the early hours of the next day to finish the homework given.

“I got to bed at around 2:30 in the morning, then wake up at 6 to get ready for school,” says an anonymous source. After interviewing many other students we found a trend. Almost all of the students taking these honors and AP classes were getting less than the recommended eight hours of sleep.

“I really recommend taking the honors classes,” suggested Mercedes Latu. “Just be ready to study and prepare for the work.” Wiser words have never yet been said. But the question still rings here at Dublin high, are these classes more negative than positive? Sure, classes that challenge students is great. But with the constant lack of sleep and pressure to get a 4.0 GPA could we be destroying our students future? Think about it Dublin High, I know I will. To those taking these classes, if you are feeling stressed don’t be afraid to ask for help. Dublin High offers many tutoring resources so you have many options to choose from. Whether your schedule is packed with one of the many more difficult classes offered here at Dublin high or thinking about signing up for one next year, keep your head high and pencils poised and don’t forget to shine like the diamond you are.

$0
$500

$0
$500