Kick Off To The 2023 Girls Soccer Season At Dublin High School

Pranayasree Suman Raj
Dublin girls scrimmaging at tryouts, working hard even into the night!

As we start our second quarter as Gaels, we launch into the winter sports season. One of the most anticipated winter sports this year includes Dublin Girls Soccer. Soccer, also known as football in other countries, is the world’s most popular team sport. Soccer can be played in schools, clubs, and on national and professional teams. In Dublin High, we have 3 different soccer teams, Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Frosh that compete with other schools versus their respective teams. 

Earlier this year, on October 10, 2023 there was an informational meeting held which briefed the upcoming season. Some of the topics discussed were the new equipment, new instagram, the official coaches for each team, and tryout dates. The official tryout dates are November 14-16. At the tryouts, the coaches will determine which of the 3 teams the players are going to play on. There are approximately 15-20 players on each team; 11 starting players while the rest are substitutes. The head coach for Girls Soccer is Jered Lui. To kick off this school year, the Dublin Girls Soccer also made a new instagram account, @dublinhighsoccer on which there will be regular posts on this account about games, practices, and much more. To add on, the soccer team is going to use their funds for new equipment such as new jerseys and new soccer balls. 

The fundamentals of soccer are really simple, to kick the ball into the other team’s goal net. As a soccer player, you can not touch the ball with your hands except the goalkeeper who guards the goal through the game. On the field, there are multiple spots a player can play such as defense, offense, goalkeeper, and midfielders. The defensive players try to stop the other team’s offense from scoring a goal. The goalkeeper prevents the shot from going into the net in case the defense players couldn’t stop it. The offensive players try to score goals in the opposing team’s goal net. The midfielders play both offense and defense. During the game, typically three officials, a referee and two assistants, control the game. They give teams penalties when players commit fouls, or break the rules.

In summary, soccer is a great sport to play and make fun memories out of. Tryouts are coming up soon. Have fun and see if you can make the team!

$0
$500

Pranayasree Suman Raj
Pranayasree (Pranaya) Suman Raj, a Dublin High Freshman, joined Dublin Shield to showcase her writing and improve as a writer. This is Pranaya’s first year on the Shield and she already shows a clear interest in writing about sports. Pranaya aspires to be an architect. In her free time, she can be spotted hanging out with her friends or playing basketball.
$0
$500