Dublin Completes Installation of New Iron Horse Trail Bridge Overcrossing at Dublin Boulevard

Matthew Noique
The new Iron Horse Trail Bridge Overcrossing, joining the Iron Horse Trail and allowing passage over Dublin Boulevard road.

This past Sunday, October 22, 2023, the city of Dublin completed its installation of the new 230-foot-long, 20-foot-high (at its highest point) Iron Horse Trail Bridge Overcrossing over Dublin Boulevard. Intended to, according to Dublin city government, “provide a safe crossing for Trail users”—who now don’t have to cross the Dublin Boulevard road to continue the trail—and “facilitate improved traffic flow along Dublin Boulevard,” now free of the interruptions of crossing from trail-goers, the bridge overcrossing was highly and broadly anticipated by walkers, bikers, hikers, and drivers alike. 

The project’s completion is especially significant considering the importance of the Iron Horse Trail for Dublin residents. Widely used and an efficient means of traveling throughout Alameda and Contra Costa County, the trail notably connects the cities of Livermore, Pleasanton, San Ramon, Danville, Alamo, Walnut Creek, and Concord all to the city of Dublin and connects to the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station, involving hikers, work commuters, students traveling to school, and more. 

Additionally, since the establishment of the trail in 1986, several other new bridges have already been developed that fulfill the new Overcrossing’s goal to alleviate traffic and improve pedestrian and biker flow on the trail. As they experience effective passage over these existing bridges, Iron Horse Trail users welcome the development of the new bridge after having been obliged to navigate the many sidewalks, and from there cross the street at the Scarlett Drive Intersection, that join the trail in order to continue their path. 

“I think it’s a good idea because it might make coming to school easier,” an anonymous Dublin High Junior says about the development. “Before, traffic was really slow, so now it’ll make traffic lighter—both for drivers and pedestrians.”

Moreover, Dublin’s rapid growth has made traffic a persistent problem for the Dublin community. Indeed, Dublin is now the fastest growing city in all of California, experiencing, according to U.S. Census Bureau data, a 58% increase in population—from 46,000 to 73,000 residents—from the period 2010-2020 that has continued into 2023. 

“Living in Dublin the past decade, I’ve personally witnessed the growth of the city, especially in the new Boulevard development next to the Iron Horse Trail and BART station,” another anonymous junior shares. “Crossing this development every morning reminds me of how much this city has grown, and that’s reflected in the traffic I see every morning on the way to school.”

Shari Jackman, communications manager for the city of Dublin, has attributed this growth in part to infrastructural projects, including the development of the Iron Horse Trail’s neighboring BART station which “anticipated the growth that would come to the Bay Area.” This motivation for relocation to Dublin has ensured that the BART station has been well-trafficked—a phenomenon that motivated the creation of the Iron Horse Trail. 

“Living in east Dublin, I pass the BART station every morning I go to school,” this same junior comments. “The area near the BART station is always congested, so I think, in light of the expansion this city has seen over the past decade, the Iron Horse Trail Bridge is a great first step in accommodating the city’s growth and making the city available for all.”

$0
$500

Matthew Noique
Matthew Noique, Student Life Editor
Matthew Noique is currently a sophomore at DHS. He sees writing as a form of expression and hopes to facilitate that expression as Community section editor. In his free time, he’ll hope to read a good book or, when not tirelessly occupied by the internet, will play his instrument—the saxophone—referee soccer games for money, and maybe even stop procrastinating on his homework. He looks forward to the role he’ll play in encouraging writers to write about the community and how it impacts them this year at The Dublin Shield!
$0
$500