Behind Our Bell Schedule

It affects everyone at the school. Everyone has to follow it. It has different forms. The bell schedule at Dublin High School determines things for all of the students and the faculty.

The bell schedule at Dublin High determines when we have to go to school, how long our classes are, how long lunch and passing period is, and even how our rally and collaboration days are formatted. With fifty-six minute periods, a thirty-five minute lunch and six minute passing periods, an average day of school lasts approximately six hours and forty-six minutes.

However, Dublin High has something special that comes up roughly every other wednesday — collaboration days. Collaboration days are shorter days, starting at 8:00 A.M. and ending at 1:47 P.M., that last five hours and forty-seven minutes. They consist of forty-seven minute class periods and the same six minute passing period, as well as the same thirty-five minute lunch.

“I think that the school schedule is just fine the way it is, but I feel like zero period starts a tad bit too early,” Diego Guardiola, a senior at Dublin High says. Many students feel the same way, but there are a few that may differentiate.

“School starts too early,” Vivien Li, another senior at Dublin says.
Kevin Sun, junior at Dublin seconds this opinion as well and states that, “Periods are too long and lunch is too short.”

“Collaboration days should be once a month, because they do not benefit the schedules of students and teachers and act as a gift to the students; people are less likely to get little to no work done,” says Li. On the other hand, Sun believes that, “We should have collaboration days every week. Some students, such as Li and Guardiola even believe that collaboration days should start later and end regularly, which can also be referred to as a ‘late day.’

“Instead of starting at 8:00 A.M. and ending at 1:47 P.M., we should start later in the day, maybe around 9:30 A.M. to 10:00 A.M. and finish school regularly, at 2:46 P.M., that way students can get a bit more rest with time to sleep in,” says Li.

Passing period is also of some concern for some students at Dublin.

“Sometimes passing period is only just enough time to get to one of my classes, I don’t have any time to get a snack, talk to a friend even for a little, or even use the restroom if I would like to,” explains Li. However, some have other opinions, “I always make it to class on time,” explains Sun, “If anything, I think that we should shorten passing period to increase the amount of time we get for lunch.”
The bell schedule has a big impact on the students and faculty at Dublin, whether it may be when to get to class, how long classes, periods, even lunch should be, or even how certain days should be formatted. Clearly, the students of Dublin have different opinions about the schedule, but no matter the opinion, it is something very important that everyone must follow!