Student Spotlight: Lucas Hernandez

Ms. Martins
Lucas Hernandez (right) and his date Marco (left) for Senior Ball.

Lucas Hernandez, a senior this year, is enjoying his last year at Dublin High. Although he’s been through a lot throughout his high school years, Hernandez has been able to take the time to enjoy his last few months in high school.

“My experience at Dublin High has been stressful, life changing, and probably the best time I’ve had in my life,” said Hernandez. “I’ve learned so much about who I am and how to deal with challenges that I never really thought I’d be facing.”

One of the biggest struggles Hernandez has faced includes learning to accept himself, and his sexuality. Coming to Dublin High from middle school, Hernandez said he felt insecure, and tried to seclude himself from people. Hernandez was able to make friends, but never really let people in. As time went on, he was able to make some real friends, and even started opening up a little.

“From there, I came out to more people, until I eventually accepted it myself,” said Hernandez. “I am more confident in who I am now than I have ever been.”

Like other students, Hernandez has also had to face the challenge of balancing school and home life, extracurricular activities, and a part-time job. But Hernandez has learned how to both to balance his time and to tackle everything right away instead of procrastinating until the last minute.

“I mean, he’ll go into a challenge head-first even when one might think it’s not the best to, but then he makes the best of whatever happens,” said Senior Reed Sights. “If you have a problem, he can kind of pick up on it, check to make sure you are okay, and when necessary, pry it out of you because he knows you need to say it.”

Hernandez believes that when you get knocked down, you need to get back up, because that’s when life is going to steamroll right over you.

On his own time, Hernandez enjoys reading, writing, acting, and hanging out with his friends. Some of his favorite subjects include advanced drama, English, and history.

As his senior year comes to an end, Hernandez reflects on the highlights of his high school career, which include all the obstacles that he’s had to face, the friends he has made, and the people he’s been able to help. At the same time, Hernandez also looks forward to upcoming senior events, including Senior Ball and Senior Picnic.

When asked about his philosophy in life, Hernandez said he doesn’t think there is a strict philosophy set for life.

“You have to make up so much and wing it half the time,” exclaimed Hernandez. “But, if there was one, then I think it would be something like: love yourself.”

“He is such a ball of excitement that you can’t help but love,” said Junior Cassidy Knight. “In all things he does, Lucas strives to do his best while having fun and making new friends.”

Hernandez believes that you should be who you want to be and do whatever makes you happy and makes you feel like you’re actually living, and if people try to bring you down, then you need to move on.

Winnie Chan, Copy Editor for News and Other

My name is Winnie Chan and I am currently a senior this year.  Journalism provides me ample opportunities to write for the public, and in this case, the student body and staff members at Dublin High.  I think it is important that I am able to inform others about what is going on.  To have that ability is not only empowering, but also a gift that I cherish and will continue to cherish.  Dublin High easily provides that opportunity for me as it has a safe environment perfect for learning and growth.  Other than Dublin High, I consider the theater and plaza at Hacienda to be my favorite place in Dublin.  It gives me a lot of memories, ones with both my friends and my family.  Being there feels like being in a small community, and it allows me to stay in close connection to the area.  Whenever I have the time, I simply enjoy walking.  Long-distance walking for me not only gives me the chance to exercise, but also allows me to truly appreciate what is around me.