The Dublin Shield

DHS Summer Fun! I Was a Tourist in France

DHS Summer Fun! I Was a Tourist in France

Sabina Boudames, World Editor

August 21, 2017

Filed under Feature, Showcase, Student Life, World

This summer, I traveled through France, visiting Paris and Nice. As I traveled, I made it my goal to focus on the various differences in culture and lifestyle in France compared to here in California. One prominent example was that the majority of shops and restaurants in France closed on Sundays. Wh...

Dublin High Views the Great American Eclipse

Dublin High Views the Great American Eclipse

Sabina Boudames, World Editor

August 21, 2017

Filed under Community, Feature, Showcase, Student Life, United States, World

Today, on August 21, 2017, America saw its first solar eclipse since June 8, 1979, and the entire country was filled with talk. Many websites and news channels offered live streams. Mrs. Lewis, the physical sciences and engineering lead teacher at Dublin High, explained what eclipses are. “As a phys...

Federer Chased History and Won

Sumedh Vaidyanathan, Sports Editor

August 12, 2017

Filed under Showcase, Sports, World

Despite being a 35 year old man, Swiss athlete Roger Federer played like he was a decade younger when he won the 2017 Wimbledon Tennis singles title against Croatian player Marin Čilić on July 16, 2017. He effortlessly won seven other trophies on the same London lawn. However this eighth singles title s...

James Comey and Jeff Sessions Hearings about Trump’s Actions and Affiliations with Russia

Vikram Nithyanandam, World Editor

June 23, 2017

Filed under Feature, Showcase, United States, World

Last Thursday, former FBI director James Comey testified in front of the Senate about his interactions with President Trump about the FBI’s investigation into possible links between Trump’s associates and the Russian effort to tamper in last year’s presidential election. Comey testified in confirmation...

The President Remains Determined to Turn Up the Heat (Literally)

Kaushikee Nayudu, Associate Managing Editor

June 12, 2017

Filed under Showcase, United States, World

When it comes to climate change, as well as several other topics, President Trump has taken a diverse array of stances. Several years before announcing his candidacy, in 2009, the president signed an open letter to former President Barack Obama from several prominent business leaders expressing support for ...

French Elections: Macron Victorious

Vikram Nithyanandam, Staff Writer

May 12, 2017

Filed under World

On May 7th, France elected its new president, Emmanuel Macron, which was a great relief to many countries who feared Le Pen becoming president, and her promise to leave the EU. Shockingly, Macron won by a landslide; a whopping 66% of the population voted for Macron, and a remaining 34% voted for Le Pen....

The French Presidential Elections: Scandals, Surprises, and Suspense

Kaushikee Nayudu, Staff Writer

May 2, 2017

Filed under Showcase, World

In a few days the French people will gather at the polls to cast their votes for the candidate they believe most suited to be their new president. Though the presidential elections of a country nearly five thousand miles away may seem irrelevant to us in Dublin, California, it’s relevancy cannot be...

Donald Trump Bombing Syria’s Chemical Base

Vikram Nithyanandam, Staff Writer

April 18, 2017

Filed under United States, World

Last week, Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad, ordered a deadly nerve agent to be sprayed on the public in Syria, which caused much outrage throughout the world. It killed dozens of civilians and injured hundreds of others. In response, president Donald Trump fired 59 Tomahawk missiles on the air base where ...

Julia, Sesame Street’s New Muppet With Autism

Kaushikee Nayudu, Staff Writer

April 7, 2017

Filed under Feature, Showcase, United States, World

Hollywood has been criticized countless times for the lack of diversity in roles and for their stereotypical depiction of minorities. Though Hollywood is still light years behind in having the screen reflect reality, recent years have shown an increase in diverse roles. Freshman Annabelle Obillo comme...

DHS Reacts to Westminster Terrorist Attack

Christy Koh, World Editor

April 3, 2017

Filed under Feature, Showcase, World

March 22, 2017 -- In 82 seconds, the lives of 3 innocents ended, and those of 40 others were affected forever. A car sped along the pavement of Westminster Bridge, purposefully hitting dozens of pedestrians. The driver then pulled into the Palace of Westminster, exited the car, and fatally stabbed police...