Coffee is Great

Coffee is a beverage that has been enjoyed by the world for centuries. From what we know, the potential first cup of coffee was was made during the 15th century in Ethiopia. Now, there are many different types of coffee, and it’s consumed pretty much anywhere you go. It’s the perfect drink for anytime of day; it gets you going in the morning, you can drink it on a comfy chair during the day, and before you go to bed.

People drink coffee to get started in the morning and for its unique taste, but most don’t actually realize the major health benefits of drinking coffee. The caffeine in coffee isn’t just a stimulant drug that keeps you awake in the morning; caffeine has been scientifically proven to be beneficial.

Though there are many ill statements toward caffeine such as “it stunts your growth”, or “it increases your risk of getting heart disease,” and so on, it doesn’t actually do any of those things. Studies have shown that there is generally no connection between drinking coffee and increased risk of heart disease. Coffee actually has a high content of antioxidants, help protect against Parkinson’s disease and type 2 diabetes, it can help ward off depression, and according to studies at Brigham, help to decrease the risk of skin cancer. Also, according to research at Scranton University, coffee is a major source of antioxidants.

But just because coffee has all these benefits, don’t get the idea that drinking 90 cups of Joe a day is a good thing. That would kill you and is not highly recommended as too much of anything is bad for your body. Too much caffeine over time could result in increased blood pressure, high cholesterol, abnormal heartbeat, and muscle tremors.

As long as you keep coffee consumption to a minimum, you should reap the benefits of good health and great taste.

Donate to The Dublin Shield
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Dublin High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Liam Bird
Liam Bird, Photo Editor
My name is Liam Bird and I am a junior here at DHS. What I like the most about Journalism is the fact that I can freely write about what I want and what interests me and getting to know teachers and students better through interviews. My favorite thing about DHS is hanging out with friends at lunch because after all the stress and work of class, it’s nice to be able to chill for an hour with friends. Two of my favorite places in Dublin are Hacienda Crossings because it’s a nice environment and a perfect place to hang out with friends and the Dublin Library because it’s the place where I can study in peace and quiet and manage to get a lot of work done. In my freetime, I like to hang out at a friend’s house or walk around in Dublin.  
Donate to The Dublin Shield
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal