Track Season Already Starting

After a successful cross country season, the team is starting to transition into track and field. Conditioning started in December, and February 10th is the official day of practice. Since the season run until May, students have a lot on their plate. With meets, practices,and team dinners, the athletes have a lot to look forward to throughout the next few months.

Senior Abigail Sweeney has been running track for two years now and she couldn’t be happier to be a part of such a great team.

“Coming out everyday after school gives me something to focus on, and I really couldn’t picture myself not being a part of this team,” Sweeney says.

Because there are so many different events for track, the athletes have a variety of options to choose from. Whether it be sprinting, distance, hurdling , jumping, throwing, or pole vaulting, students can easily find what they want to do by coming to practices. This is junior Tatiana Bouri’s third year on the team, and second year hurdling for Dublin High.

“For the past two years I have spent my spring running for Dublin High, I put so much work into each practice, so when I go to compete, I am confident in my ability to score for our team,” Bouri explains.

Track and field isn’t only about scoring, and placing in each race, but about making it worthwhile. It’s a time to make new friends and experience different things. When Sweeney moved from Chicago her junior year, she immediately joined the cross country and track team.

“If I didn’t join track my junior year, I wouldn’t have made as many friends as I did. I immediately felt welcomed,” Sweeney states.

Everyday after school, students are expected to come to practice, six days a week. With all the training the coaches make you put in, overtime results will show. Sophomore Robin Cartago is now training for his second season of track.

“Even though practices may seem tough at times,  my times for all the races kept improving throughout the weeks,” Cartago exclaims.

If you are still unsure if you would want to join, come to practices after school Monday through Friday at 3:15 under the bleachers!

Donate to The Dublin Shield
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Dublin High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Dublin Shield
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal